There are so many reasons you may want to congratulate someone. Maybe they’re getting or have got married, got engaged, have a new job, expecting a new baby, are graduating, retiring or many more. All of these events are things that deserve celebrating and congratulating the person or persons about. A good way to do that is by sending them a congratulations card expressing your best wishes.
But for these sorts of wishes and messages it can be tough to know what to write. You may not know the right tone to strike, struggle with finding the correct words or just expressing the way you feel. Getting that down on paper (or card) and making it sound good is more difficult than it might sound.
If you’re finding this to be the case then use one of the pre written messages below. You can copy them directly or change them to fit your situation. Alternatively you can follow the quick guide just under here that will show you how to write your own congratulations card and get the perfect sentiment.
Table of Contents
What to Write in a Congratulations Card
You can follow this short guide to writing your own congratulations message.
- Start your card by addressing the recipient you want to congratulate. Something simple like “Dear _____” is perfectly fine.
- Next congratulate the recipient on whatever it is they’ve achieved. For example if it’s an engagement you could put something like “congratulations on getting engaged! I can’t wait to see the ring!” or if it’s a promotion “well done on getting that new job! You’ve worked so hard and really deserve it”
- Following this you can let them know how proud you are of their achievement, possibly using a personal anecdote or story. Talk about their success
- Next you can wish them well in the future and how things will be considering what it is your congratulating them on
- Finish by closing your message and signing the card. Something like “Lots of love, _____”
You don’t have to stick exactly to this guide. You can add in extra parts if you want or keep it shorter if that fits better. But this general outline should at least give you an idea of how to write one.
These are general congratulations wishes that can be used in most situations. They can also be added to or expanded in order to fit the person you are congratulating. But they can be a useful starting point if you are struggling with your own. For more specific examples (new job, wedding, retirement etc) scroll further down.
- Congratulations! I’m so proud of you and wishing you all the success in the future
- Well done! I’m so pleased for you
- Best wishes and congratulations. Hoping you enjoy more success and happiness
- All your hard work has paid off! Congratulations!
- I’m so excited for you! Congrats
- Congratulations and best of luck
- You’re amazing, and I knew you could do it. Congratulations and fully deserved
- You have earned all your success, congratulations
- Hard work, persistence and talent – you have all 3 in abundance. Your success is completely deserved and I’m so pleased for you
- I hope you’ll accept my best wishes and congratulations on the big news
You can use a quote in your card instead of or alongside a message as well. A congratulations quote can sum up your feelings very well and do a better job than you could.
- “Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly” ~ Robert F. Kennedy
- “Only those who attempt the absurd can achieve the impossible” ~ Albert Einstein
- “I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles” ~ Christopher Reeves
Today is your day
You’re off to Great Places!
You’re off and away!” –Dr. Seus
- “No one does it better than you!” ~ Anthony Hincks
- “Victory is won not in miles but in inches. Win a little now, hold your ground, and later, win a little more” ~ Louis L’Amour
- “There is an easy way to silence your critics; just try to do what they say you can’t do. If they are still not content, do more of it! Keep doing it until you become a master. Then look around, and you will see fewer critics and many compliments!” ~ Israelmore Ayivor
- “Victory is sweetest when you’ve known defeat” ~ Malcolm S. Forbes
Graduating is a huge event in a young persons life, be it from high school or college. Celebrate and congratulate them on their achievement with one of these graduation messages.
- Congratulations on your graduation!
- So proud of you! You’re a college grad now!
- Congratulations! Graduating college isn’t easy but you’ve done amazingly well
- Congratulations, I wish you much success in the future
- Congratulations and best of luck with whatever you choose to do next
If you’re sending a wedding card then you will want to congratulate the happy couple on their big day. Use one of the wedding wishes below.
- Congratulations! You two were made for each other
- I’m so pleased to have been there to celebrate your big day! Congratulations
- Congratulations on a wonderful wedding
- I hope your lives are filled with joy and happiness. Congratulations
- Congratulations on a love so pure and strong. Have a lovely wedding and happy life together
For more wedding congratulations and wishes see our Wedding Wishes examples for a guide on what to write or say.
Retiring after years and years of hard work is a big change. Some hate the idea and want to continue working whereas others can’t wait for the rest and free time. If you know someone like the latter then offer them congratulations on achieving a huge milestone in their life.
- Congratulations on retiring! After all these years you’ve earned it
- Congratulations, may you enjoy your retirement to the fullest
- Congratulations on your retirement; the end of an era but the start of a whole new chapter
- Wow, you look way too young to retire! but congratulations on beginning the next phase of your life
- Congratulations on your retirement. Have an adventure in your new life
For a New Job
Getting a new job or promotion is such an achievement and something people often strive a long time to get. Let them know how well you think they’ve done with a card and include a message of congratulations.
- I know how much you’ve wanted this position so just wanted to congratulate you on getting it. Well done!
- Wishing you all the best in your new job! Congratulations
- A fully deserved promotion. Congratulations
- Best wishes and success in your new job
- Congratulations on never giving up and eventually reaching that goal.
For more new job messages and wishes see our New Job Wishes examples for a guide on what to write or say.
For a New Baby
There’s nothing quite like a new arrival! A new baby is one of the biggest causes for celebration. If you know a couple having a new child then let them know how happy you are for them with one of the messages below.
- Congratulations on your new bundle of joy!
- We cant wait to see the new arrival! Congratulations
- Congratulations to the new mom and dad. We know you’ll be amazing parents
- Your family is now complete! Congratulations
- Congratulations and best wishes on your new baby. Wishing you much love and happiness
For more new baby congratulations and wishes see our New Baby Wishes examples for a guide on what to write or say.
For a New House
Moving into a new house whilst stressful is also a really exciting change. It may be a first house or just a step along the ladder but either way wishing someone congratulations is a great way to celebrate their big event.
- Congratulations on moving into the house of your dreams!
- I hope the moving goes well and your new house becomes a loving family home soon. Congratulations on
- A new house – what an exciting change! Congratulations
- Congratulations on your first house!
- Wishing you all the best in your new house
For more new house congratulations and wishes see our Housewarming Wishes examples for a guide on what to write or say.