Irish birthday wishes are a little different to regular birthday messages. The Irish have a contagious love for life, laughter and good cheer. So for a birthday you will want a message or best wishes which reflects that.
One way to do that is by sending a heartfelt Irish birthday wish or message. A heartfelt birthday message that will make them feel extra special on their big day.
Whether you’re looking for a funny, sentimental or traditional Irish birthday wish these examples are for you. From classic Irish blessings to witty one-liners, this collection has something for everyone.
So let’s spread some Irish cheer and make your loved one’s birthday a day to remember.
Traditional Irish Birthday Wishes
- May your day be touched with a bit of Irish luck, brightened by a song in your heart and warmed by the smiles of the people you love.
- May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your face and may the rain fall softly on your fields.
- May your heart be as light as a song, may your days be as happy as a shamrock and may your love be as warm as the Irish sun.
- May good luck be your friend in whatever you do, may troubles be always a stranger to you. Happy birthday!
- May the good Lord take a liking to you.. but not too soon!
- May the Lord keep you in His hand and never close His fist too tight on you.
- May your joys be as deep as the oceans, your troubles as light as it’s roam, and may you find sweet peace of mind, wherever you roam. Happy birthday!
- May your pockets be heavy and heart be light. May good luck pursue you each morning and night.
- With happiness being a dessert sweet, may life give you more than you can eat.
- There are two types of people in the world, the Irish, and those who fake it once a year.
Funny Irish Birthday Messages
The Irish are known for their amazing sense of humor. And that applies to birthday greetings too.
So here are some funny Irish birthday messages that will help put a smile on the birthday boy or girl.
- May the doctor never earn a pound from you!
- May you be buried in Ireland with a wet mouth!
- May your birthday be as happy as a leprechaun on St. Patrick’s Day!
- Another year older and still as handsome/beautiful as ever – must be the Irish genes!
- May your health be like the capital of Ireland – always Dublin!
- May your birthday be filled with as much joy and laughter as a pub on a Saturday night!
- Happy birthday to someone who’s aging gracefully, like a fine Irish whiskey.
- Here’s to wishing you the top of life without a single tumble. The smiles of life and not a single grumble. The best of life and not a claw about it. The joy in life and not a day without it. Happy Birthday.
- May your liquor be cold, May your women be hot. And may your troubles slide off of you slicker than snot.
- Merry met and merry part, I drink to thee with all my heart.
- There are two kind of people in this world. The Irish, and those who wish they were.
- May you live long, die happy, and rent a mansion in heaven.
Irish Birthday Wishes for Friends
- May your birthday be filled with laughter and good cheer, and may your friendship with me never fade away.
- May your special day be as wonderful and amazing as you are! Happy birthday.
- May the joy and happiness of this day stay with you throughout the coming year.
- May the blessings of St. Patrick be upon you and your loved ones on your birthday.
- May the luck of the Irish be with you, my friend, and may your heart be filled with love and joy on your special day.
- May your birthday be filled with good friends, good food and the best of times.
- Here’s to another year of laughter, friendship and fun – happy birthday, my dear friend!
Irish Birthday Blessings
A blessing is a great way to honor a birthday. They can be filled with heartfelt wishes that celebrate the persons health, happiness and prosperity.
So use these Irish birthday blessings to wish someone a happy birthday while also using the power of the Irish tradition.
One of the most popular Irish birthday blessings goes like this:
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields,
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.
More popular Irish birthday blessings:
May the blessings of each day be the blessings you need most.
May your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow and may trouble avoid you wherever you go
To all the days here and after May they be filled with fond memories, happiness and laughter.
May your life be full of gladness and health, and your pocket full of gold as the least of your wealth. May the dreams you hold dear be the ones that come true, may all the kindness you spread, keep coming back to you.
May you always walk through sunshine, may you never want for more. May Irish angels rest their wings right besides your door.
Irish Birthday Toasts
An Irish birthday toast is perfect if you’re at a birthday party or dinner and want to say a few words. The following birthday toasts are a great way to raise a glass and wish whoever it is a very happy birthday.
- May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, and may the sun shine warm upon your face.
- Here’s to a long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold beer – and another one!
- May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
- Four blessings upon you…
- May you always have a clean shirt, a clear conscience and enough coins in your pocket to buy a pint!
- You’re not as young as you used to be. But you’re not as old as you’re going to be! So watch it!
- May friendship, like wine, improve as time advances. And may we always have old wine, old friends and young cares.
- I’ve drank to your health in taverns, I’ve drank to your health in my home, I’ve drank to your health so damn many times, I believe I’ve ruined my own!
- May you taste the sweetest pleasures that fortune ere bestowed, and may all your friends remember all the favors you are owed.
- May your pint be always full, and your wallet always thick.
These toasts are ideal for celebrating a birthday with friends and family. They capture the spirit of the Irish and will really appeal to whoever’s birthday it is.
Of course there are many other Irish toasts that you can use to celebrate a birthday. You might prefer to go with something more traditional or even come up with your own.
Irish Birthday Quotes
There are so many Irish quotes about birthdays and they will add some charm to a birthday card and message. These are a few of my favorite Irish birthday quotes:
- “May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your face, and rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand.” – Irish Blessing
- May the winds of fortune sail you, May you sail a gentle sea. May it always be the other guy who says, “this drink’s on me.”
- “May your troubles be less, and your blessings be more. And nothing but happiness come through your door.” – Irish Blessing
- “May you live to be a hundred years, with one extra year to repent.” – Irish Blessing
- “May misfortune follow you the rest of your life, but never catch up.” – Irish proverb
- “The Irish do not want anyone to wish them well; they want everyone to wish their enemies ill.” – Harold Nicholson
Irish Birthday Poems
To Age! To Age! Why does one care?
As the wrinkles grow longer and gray graces your hair.
Life should be simple because when push comes to shove,
The only one counting is the good Lord above!
The test of Gold is Fire
The test of Truth is Time
The test of God’s love are the heavens above
and everything sublime
Treasures in life are many,
dreams realized but few
But I know the test of God’s goodness is
when he gave me a friend like you.
May the road rise up to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
And the rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.
May your birthday be full of laughter,
And your life be full of love,
May your troubles be few,
And your blessings be many,
And may you always have a reason to smile.
May you live a long and happy life,
And never want for more,
May your heart be full of joy,
And your soul be at peace,
And may all your dreams come true.
How Do the Irish Wish a Happy Birthday
In Irish you can wish someone a happy birthday by saying “Lá breithe shona duit” or “Breithlá shona duit.” These phrases translate to “Happy birthday to you” in English. There are two different ways to say it: “Lá breithe shona duit” (Law breh-ha shun-ah ditch) and “Breithlá shona duit” (Breh-law shun-ah ditch).
Sally Gibson is the founder of Someone Sent you a Greeting, a holiday/celebration website. Sally’s writing work has been mentioned in Woman’s World, Yahoo, Women’s Health, MSN and more. If you have any questions get in contact with one of the team via the about page.