Heartbreak and losing a love can be one of the hardest things to deal with. During that time it can help to know that other people have gone through and had the same feelings you have.
That’s why sad love quotes can be so useful and comforting when you are hurting. Take solace in the fact that many before you have felt the same way and managed to get through their lost love, learn from them and try to heal.
So use this selection of short sad love quotes, sayings and images to heal your broken heart and find strength throughout the tough times.
Short Sad Love Sayings
- It is better to have loved and lost than never to have lost at all.~ Samuel Butler
- Life would be so much easier if we only fell in love with people that would love us back.
- Certain people only love at their own convenience.
- Your heart is the most precious part of you, never donate it to someone who doesn’t appreciate it.
- Love that remains longest in your heart is the one that is not returned.
- Everyone in life is gonna hurt you, you just have to figure out which people are worth the pain.
- Thank you for breaking my heart, because without that I wouldn’t be the person I am today with the person I love.
- I wonder if you think of me half as much as I think about you.
- I don’t know if I’m getting over him or if I’m just getting used to the pain.
- Sometimes it’s easier to pretend you don’t care than to admit it’s killing you.
- The course of true love never did run smooth ~ William Shakespeare
- I was born when you kissed me. I died when you left me. I lived a few weeks while you loved me. ~ Humphrey Bogart
- I bet you’ll never remember what I will never forget.
- You can never love people as much as you can miss them.
- Falling in love is awfully simple, but falling out of love is simply awful.
- To be your friend was all I ever wanted; to be your lover was all I ever dreamed. ~ Valerie Lombardo
- Just because someone desires you, doesn’t mean they value you.
- I can’t wait for the day I get to look at you and feel absolutely nothing.
- Sometimes you have to accept that people’s part in your story is over.
- Love doesn’t hurt; loving the wrong person does.
- Yes, I’ve changed. Pain does that to people.
- Just because I let you go doesn’t mean I wanted to.
- I’m too broken to hold on, but too in love to let go.
- True pain is when you look into the eyes of someone you love and they look away.
- Truth is, you’re the reason I don’t believe in love anymore.
- When someone truly cares about you they make an effort, not an excuse.
- The greater your capacity to love, the greater your capacity to feel the pain.
SEE MORE: Love Paragraphs for Him
Short Sad Love Quotes
- “Part of me aches at the thought of her being so close yet so untouchable.” ~ Nicholas Sparks
- “Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it’s better to leave them broken than try to hurt yourself putting it back together.” ~ Unknown
- “You flew off with the wings of my heart and left me flightless.” ~ Terri Guillemets
- “I will wait for you till the day I can forget you or till the day you realize you cannot forget me” ~ Herryicm
- “It hurts to leave a light on for nobody.” ~ Graham Foust
- “Tears come from the heart and not from the brain.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci
- “For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, “It might have been.” ~ John Greenleaf Whittier
- “It’s sad when someone you know becomes someone you knew.” ~ Henry Rollins
- “If we must part forever, Give me but one kind word to think upon, And please myself with, while my heart’s breaking.” ~ Thomas Otway
- “Nothing is worse than when someone who’s supposed to love you just leaves.” ~ Ava Dellaira
- “Breathing is hard. When you cry so much, it makes you realize that breathing is hard.” ~ David Levithan
- “Sometimes I wish I were a little kid again, skinned knees are easier to fix than broken hearts.” ~ Unknown
- “Walking alone is not difficult but when we have walked a mile worth a thousand years with someone then coming back alone is what is difficult.” ~ Faraaz Kazi
- “I wish I could give you my pain just for one moment so you can understand how much you hurt me.” ~ Mohsen El-guindy
- “As the light begins to intensify, so does my misery, and I wonder how it is possible to hurt so much when nothing is wrong.” ~ Tabitha Suzuma
- “Let my soul smile through my heart and my heart smile through my eyes, that I may scatter rich smiles in sad hearts.” ~ Paramahansa Yogananda
- “It’s amazing how someone can break your heart and you can still love them with all the little pieces.” ~ Ella Harper
- “He taught me how to love, but not how to stop.” ~ Anonymous
- “Tears are words the heart can’t express” ~ Anonymous
- “It takes a minute to like someone, an hour to love someone, but to forget someone takes a lifetime.” ~ Anonymous
READ MORE: I Love You With All My Heart and Soul Quotes
Pick your Favourite Sad Love Quotes
Unfortunately relationships and falling in love inevitably lead to sadness sometimes. It’s just part of life. And often it’s these moments of heartbreak that makes us appreciate true love when it comes along.
It’s how we react and deal with that sadness. Not letting it beat us down or crate lasting damage.
Hopefully these quotes will have put that loss or feelings of despair into perspective – helped you embrace the pain and cope as you work through it.
If you have a favourite from our short love quotes we’d love to hear which one and why. Maybe it relates to a break up you’ve had or has helped to put a past love behind you.
Just leave us a comment below – we love hearing from you!
Sally Gibson is the founder of Someone Sent you a Greeting, a holiday/celebration website. Sally’s writing work has been mentioned in Woman’s World, Yahoo, Women’s Health, MSN and more. If you have any questions get in contact with one of the team via the about page.