Receiving birthday wishes from family and friends is a thoughtful gesture. But responding to their messages and best wishes can be difficult.
If you’re struggling to find the words for the perfect response to a “happy birthday” message then keep reading as we’ve got you covered!
So use these responses to birthday wishes to help you show your appreciation for the outpouring of love you’ve received.
How to Respond to ‘Happy Birthday’
One of the most common ways to respond to happy birthday is by saying thank you. These words of thanks should help you show your appreciation for happy birthday wishes.
- Thank you so much for your kind wishes!
- What a lovely thing to say. I really appreciate your thoughtfulness.
- Your birthday wishes made my day!
- Thank you for taking the time to wish me a happy birthday. I really appreciate it.
- I’m very grateful for your warm birthday wishes. Thanks!
- Your birthday wishes brought a smile to my face.
- Thank you for remembering my birthday!
- I’m lucky to have a friend like you. Thanks for making my birthday so special.
- Your kind words really mean the world to me. Thank you.
- Thanks for the warms words on my birthday.
Short and Simple
If you want short and simple ways to reply to birthday messages these examples should be perfect.
- Thank you so much!
- It’s so kind that remembered my birthday.
- Thanks for the birthday wishes!
- Thanks for making my day extra special with your message.
- Thank you for all the birthday love!
- I’ve got a big smile on my face because of your birthday wishes.
- I really appreciate your thoughtful words.
- Thanks for taking the time to wish me a happy birthday.
Heartfelt Replies to Birthday Wishes
If you’ve been deeply touched by someone’s birthday wishes then these heartfelt replies should let them know you appreciate them.
- I feel so blessed to have you in my life. Thank you for the birthday wishes!
- You always know the perfect thing to say to make me feel loved. Thank you for the wonderful birthday wishes.
- My birthday is as special as it is because of people like you! Thank you for such warm wishes.
- It wouldn’t be my birthday without some touching words from you wishing me all the best. Thank you!
- It means a lot to me that you took the time to wish me a happy birthday.
- It was very thoughtful of you to wish me a happy birthday. It really made my day.
- Knowing friends like you are thinking of me on my birthday is such a great feeling. Thank you for such kind words.
- It wouldn’t be my birthday without an awesome message from you!
- Receiving such lovely messages on my birthday is a real treat! Thank you.
- Thanks for thinking of me on my birthday! It might not seem like much but it means a lot.
Funny Responses to Happy Birthday
A funny response can be the best way to reply to someone wishing you a happy birthday. These are a few hilarious examples.
- Thanks for reminding me that I’m one year closer to death!
- I’m not getting older, I’m just becoming a classic.
- I’m not sure which is scarier – the fact that I’m getting older or the fact that you remembered my birthday!
- Thanks! I’ve decided to stay [age] forever. It’s the secret to eternal youth, y’know.
- Oh, you remembered! I was starting to think I was getting old enough for people to forget.
- I appreciate all the birthday wishes but can we just pretend I’m still 21 and celebrate accordingly?
- Thanks for all the wonderful messages. I’m pleased to say that I’m accepting donations of cake, presents and eternal youth today!
- Birthdays are like fine wine – they get better with age. Thanks for being a part of mine!
Sarcastic Ways to Respond to Happy Birthday
A tongue in cheek way to reply to happy birthday – sarcasm. It may be the lowest form of wit but these examples will be sure to have your friend rolling their eyes.
- Another year closer to the grave. Yay!
- Thanks for the reminder that I’m getting old.
- Thanks for the birthday wishes! I’ll be sure to add them to the pile.
- I’m touched that you remembered my birthday, even though let’s be honest – Facebook told you.
- Wow, I’m really feeling the love today. Thanks for the generic birthday message.
- I’m sure it took a whole 30 seconds out of your day to wish me a happy birthday.
- Gee, I never would have remembered it was my birthday without your message.
- Great, another person reminding me I’m ageing.
Creative Responses When Someone Wishes you a Happy Birthday
These examples are that little bit different if you want to be more creative.
- Your birthday message was the cherry on top of an already amazing day! Thank you!
- I’m really grateful to have you in my life. I’m feeling so much love on my birthday!
- Birthdays are nothing without the people you care most about. So I’m so happy you’re a part of mine!
- A touching message to go along with a an amazing day. You’re the best!
- I appreciate the birthday wishes but I’m still waiting for my present..
- I can’t say I’m all that pleased about getting older but at least I have good friends like you to make it better.
- It’s always a pleasure to hear from you and especially on my birthday!
- You rock! Thanks for the message on my birthday!
I hope you’ve enjoyed these ways to respond to happy birthday and you’re now all prepared with the right thing to say when someone wishes you a very happy birthday.
Sally Gibson is the founder of Someone Sent you a Greeting, a holiday/celebration website. Sally’s writing work has been mentioned in Woman’s World, Yahoo, Women’s Health, MSN and more. If you have any questions get in contact with one of the team via the about page.