Saying ‘good luck’ is something we do often. But there are alternatives you can use instead.
You may not want to say ‘good luck’ because it’s overused, sounds boring or you want to speak from heart. In which case you need an alternative.
So whether it be wishing them good luck for a job interview, surgery, an exam or simply in general, these examples of what to say instead of good luck will help you to offer support and demonstrate how much you are thinking of them.
Short Things to Say Instead of Good Luck
A few short words can mean a lot to those facing surgery. Instead of a quick ‘good luck’ try these shorter and heartfelt alternatives to show you care.
- Break a leg!
- You’ve got this!
- Knock ’em dead.
- Wishing you the best.
- Go for it!
- Crush it!
- Do your thing!
- Make it happen.
- Show ’em what you’ve got.
- All the best.
What to Say Instead of Good Luck for Surgery
A message for those going through surgery can offer them strength and comfort when they are anxious. Instead of the usual ‘good luck’ try these alternatives that will offer your support and some positivity.
- Sending lots of healing vibes your way.
- You’ve got such a strong spirit, I know you’ll pull through.
- Wishing you a smooth and speedy recovery.
- I will be thinking of you during your surgery. All the best.
- You’re in the most capable of hands.
- You’re a warrior; you’re going to handle this like a total champ.
- Trust in the skill of the doctors and you will be just fine.
- Sending you positive energy for a successful surgery.
- You’re the strongest person I know. This will be a breeze for you!
- Just take it one step at a time. It’ll all work out.
For more examples see this guide to what to say instead of good luck for your surgery.
What to Say Instead of Good Luck for a Job Interview
Encouraging words before a job interview can make a big difference. But instead of saying ‘good luck’ you could try something else. These alternatives will offer your support and boost their confidence before the big interview.
- You’ve got this interview in the bag!
- Use your superpower: confidence.
- Show them why you’re the perfect fit!
- All you have to do is be yourself – they’ll love you.
- You’re going to nail the interview, trust me.
- Just be the amazing person you are!
- You won’t need it but I’ll wish you good luck any way.
- You’re going to impress them, without a doubt.
- Remember – you’re the best person for this job!
- They’re lucky to have you as a candidate.
What to Say Instead of Good Luck for an Exam
Motivational words before an exam can help to ease nerves. Rather than offering a general good luck message of support try the following ideas that will give them confidence during a really crucial time.
- You’ve done all your preparation, all that’s left to do is go ace that exam!
- Believe in yourself – you’ve got this!
- Trust in your knowledge. I know how well prepared you are.
- Take a deep breath and don’t be worried.
- Stay focused and success will surely follow.
- Don’t forget you’ve conquered challenges as tough as this before.
- Trust in your abilities -you’re more than ready!
- You’re going to make that exam your own.
- Have confidence in what you’ve learnt.
- Wishing you all the best for your exam.
What to Say Instead of Good Luck for your Move
These examples of what to say instead of good luck for your move will help you to express your excitement for their new chapter.
- Wishing you a smooth transition to your new place.
- Best wishes for a fresh start in your new home!
- Here’s to your move being as easy as can be.
- May your move be hassle free and full of excitement.
- All the best for a successful move.
- May your new home bring you joy and many wonderful memories.
- Sending you positive vibes for the upcoming move!
- May everything go seamlessly as you move into your new house.
- Wishing you a wonderful journey as you settle into your new forever home.
- Here’s to a new beginning in a new home!
For more see our 40+ Good Luck on your Move Wishes & Messages
How to Say Good Luck for the Future
Wishing someone luck for their future endeavors is a thoughtful gesture. You can say more though, and something a bit different. These alternatives to good luck for your future will show your happiness and hope for their success in whatever they do.
- Wishing you a bright and successful future.
- Here’s to your future being filled with happiness and prosperity.
- Wishing you a wonderful journey ahead!
- Enjoy your exciting new path!
- Embrace the future with an open heart and don’t look back.
- The best is yet to come.
- May all your dreams come true! Here’s to your future.
- Your future is going to be just as amazing as you are!
- Wishing you all the best on your journey ahead.
- Believe in yourself. You’ve got bright future ahead.
Funny Ways to Say Good Luck
Some humor and fun can be a great way to wish someone good luck. These lighthearted and funny alternatives to saying good luck will bring a smile and show your support to whoever it is your wishing the best of luck to.
- Knock ’em dead – but not literally!
- May the force be with you!
- May your luck be as awesome as you are.
- May fortune favor you… because talent sure won’t!
- I would say break a leg but I know you’ll break two!
- Try not to royally screw this up, okay?
- Good thing you’re charming – you’ll need it today!
- Wow them with your mad skills that I know you probably don’t have.
I hope you’ve found these examples of what to say instead of good luck to be helpful. It’s always nice to let someone know you’re wishing them well for whatever it is they’re facing. So hopefully these examples will allow you to do that but without having to say ‘good luck’.
Sally Gibson is the founder of Someone Sent you a Greeting, a holiday/celebration website. Sally’s writing work has been mentioned in Woman’s World, Yahoo, Women’s Health, MSN and more. If you have any questions get in contact with one of the team via the about page.