Writing a thank you card message is tricky. In fact writing any card message is usually difficult. Knowing what to say and the correct words to use is daunting.
But don’t be put off! We can help make the process much easier and painless.
We’ll take a look at how to write a thank you card first and then different types of thank you messages for different scenarios. Be it a card to thank someone for a gift, a family member or friend, or just a service provided to you.
If you just want to get straight to the pre written messages and sayings though then use the links in the table of contents below:
Table of Contents
You can use any of the messages you find here exactly as they are or customise them to fit your situation (add in or remove parts, rewrite them etc)
How to Write a Thank You Card
So, you’ve received a gift from someone (maybe for your birthday), they’ve provided a service or done you a favour. You want to thank them for it but don’t know where to begin.
It’s actually a lot easier than you would think. It doesn’t have to be long or fancy in any way. Just break it down into a few steps:
- Begin by thanking them for the gift/service – “thank you so much for the new phone you got me” or “I wanted to thank you for the wonderful service at your day spa”
- Let them know why you liked it so much or what you’ve done with it. Use specific details to show how much it meant to you – “I’ve been using it non stop since it arrived – I love the amazing camera!” or “the treatments and massages I had were brilliant and the staff went above and beyond to help with any questions I had”
- Tell them what it meant to you – “It was such a lovely gift and you know exactly how much I needed a new phone. I now have exactly what I wanted!” or “the spa day was to help me unwind after a stressful time so to have such a great experience and be made to feel special was just perfect. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it”
- Finish by thanking them again – “Thank You for being an amazing friend and for such a thoughtful gift!” or “Thank You again for a fantastic service. I’ll be recommending your spa to all my friends”
- Then sign your name! And that’s it.
It’s really that simple. Realistically anyone can write a quick thank you note. It’s just getting over the initial worry of not knowing what to say.
However if you’re still not feeling confident or want a little extra help and inspiration then take a look at the thank you sayings below.
SEE MORE: Thank You Messages for Teacher
Simple Thank You Messages
These are some of the most basic messages and sayings. They’re perfect for a very short note or card that’s already got its own message. You can of course use these short sayings as a basis to writing your own and add words from the heart.
- Thank you
- Thank you so much!
- Many thanks
- Thank you for everything
- Please accept my thanks
- Sincerest thank you
- Thank you for such a thoughtful gift
- Thank you for your time
- I honestly can’t thank you enough
- Words can’t describe how much I appreciate this/you
- Thank you for such generosity
- It doesn’t feel like enough, but thank you!
- I’m so thankful
- You have my full gratitude
- I don’t deserve you – thanks!
- Thanks for being there when I needed you
- I appreciate it/you so much
- I appreciate the effort you went to for me
Sayings and Messages for Gifts
If you receive a gift it’s only good manners to send a thank you card or note. If you’re struggling with what to say then use these messages for a gift:
- “Thank you for such a generous gift. It meant the world to me!”
- “Your gift was so thoughtful! It doesn’t feel like enough but thank you for your kindness”
- “I don’t know how you knew but it was exactly what I wanted! Thank you so much”
- “Thank you for my gift, you really shouldn’t have”
- “I loved my gift, it was so generous. Thank you for thinking of me”
- “Your gift was such a surprise and your generosity hasn’t gone unnoticed. Thank you so much”
- “Your gift absolutely made my day. I don’t deserve you as a friend. Thank you!
- “I can see how much time and effort went into my gift. Your generosity is overwhelming and I’m truly grateful”
- “You never fail to surprise me. Thank you for such a terrific gift.”
- “What an incredible gift! I could barely believe it when I opened it. Thanks!
- “I know how tricky I am to buy a gift for so really appreciate how much effort you spent on mine. Thank you for being such a generous person”
- “Many thanks for a wonderful gift”
- “Giving a gift like that should be illegal. I’m surprised you haven’t been placed under arrest for your excessive generosity. Thank you!”
- “Thank you so much for sending a card. I really appreciate you thinking of me”
- “I was so touched and surprised to find your gift to me. I’m so grateful to have a friend like you”
- “I had no idea you were going to get me a gift! It was such a surprise when I opened it. But a great one. I want to thank you so much for thinking of me”
- “When I opened my gift I knew it was from you. You know me so well! Thank you for the perfect gift”
- “Generosity is such a wonderful thing, and you have more than most. Thank you for my gift”
- “I just wanted to quickly say how much I loved my gig and let you know how thankful for it I am”
- “Thank you, thank you, thank you. Your gift meant the world to me but not only that, I’m thankful to have a friend like you and hope we get to hang out soon.”
Messages for Services
Another reason you might send a thank you card is when someone has helped you. This could be a friend using their own time to help you move, supporting you through a difficult period, or even a staff member/service that has gone out of there way for you.
Letting them know how much you appreciated their help is a kind gesture to go towards repaying them. Use some of the examples that follow:
- “I just wanted to thank you for all your help and let you know how much I appreciated it “
- “I’m not sure if I can find the right words but please know that I appreciate all your help so much. Thank you for everything”
- “Your support when I needed it most meant everything to me. I can thank you enough”
- “I know how busy you are so I wanted to tell you how thankful I am for your help. You’re a true friend”
- “Your continued support when I needed it gave me hope. I’m so lucky to have you in my life.
- “I know that this message isn’t much but hopefully it will be a start towards showing you how thankful I am to you”
- “Please accept this card as a small token of my thanks for all you’ve done”
- “Your generosity and kindness are second to none. I’m forever grateful you were there for me. Thank you”
- “I hope these few words go some way to letting you know how greatly I appreciate you and all your support”
- “Thank you for your help. Please accept this card as a symbol of my sincere gratitude for everything you’ve done.”
- “I promise that I’ll be there for you in your time if need as you were in mine. Thank you for your enduring friendship”
- “I don’t know how I would have coped without your help. It will never be forgotten. Thank you again”
- “In the toughest times you find your true friends. You really came through for me. Thank you”
- “I was so touched by all the support you’ve given me. Lunch is on me next time. Thank you!”
- “Money can buy many things but not true friendship. Yours is worth more to me than you’ll ever know. Thank you for being there.
- “I just wanted to say a simple thank you for everything.”
- “My while family had a terrific time, and they service was perfect. From all of us thank you so much.
- “I just wanted to thank you for your fantastic customer service. It’s a real pleasure to be treated with so much respect. Thank you”
- “Thank you for your wonderful service. Being treated so well as a customer is such a rarity. I’m very grateful”
- “Please accept my thanks to you and your staff for the wonderful service I received. They’re accredit to your company”
The final thing to remember is that even though you are worrying over what to write the recipient of your thank you card will not care. They will appreciate the time and effort you took to send a thank you message, and be touched by the gesture.